Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome all Fingar family members!

We're setting up a little friendly competition to help everyone in the family get healthy and looking good for Nanny's pool this summer. We've developed a point system (for anyone who wants to participate) so that even those who do not have weight to lose can join in the fun of getting fit and fab. We're thinking the prize could be simply bragging rights - which I think is motivation alone for this HIGHLY competitive family, or we could come up with some way to have a prize money pot. Maybe the winner could get one new piece of clothing from each of the LOSERS. We start Monday, January 11 and end the last Friday in April.

Ok - so here's the breakdown of points. And it's all on the honor system. Remember - cheaters never win, and winners never cheat! And I know it may seem too detailed or too much to keep up with -- but I will keep up with the points for everyone. All you have to do is email me or post your points for the week every Friday!

DAILY POINTS:
1. Drinking at least 64 ounces of water for the day = 1 point
2. For every 20 minutes of exercise = 1 point (40 minutes = 2 points, etc.)

BONUS POINTS:
1. Weekly percentage of weight loss winner:
Everyone should weigh in on Monday (January 11) morning (WE ARE NOT TELLING EACH OTHER WHAT WE WEIGH!). On Fridays - everyone should email me/or post on the blog their percentage of weight loss for the week. Here is a link to a percentage of weight loss calculator : (http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/calculate-weight-loss-percentage.html)
The winner each week for percentage of weight loss gets 3 points. Second place gets 2 points. And everyone else who lost weight that week gets 1 point for the week.
2. Running or walking any kind of race or triathlon = 10 points (Remember the Bridge Run is coming up -- let's get a team!)
3. Anyone who stops smoking = 30 POINTS!

Good Luck! How many folks can we get to compete? OH! and check back for comments! I'll respond to questions and any smart alec remarks! It's on!

15 comments:

  1. Bad timing for me...while everyone is getting "fit" I'll be getting "fat". I'll at least get some points for the water and exercise :)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only way for me to win is to start smoking and gain 10lbs by Monday, but I am in either way. Adjustable scales are off limits. "Go hard or go home!" Its on.
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, is there an opposite plan for Travis, points for drinking ensure and gaining weight? Also I think the best incentive would be a scheduled pool party for all family members, attendence and the following attire is mandatory: males must wear speedos and girls in bikinis--no exceptions Granny!

    Count Amy and Rachel in on the challenge! See you at Nanny's pool, you pick the date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did Jason pose for the picture at the top of the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, sorry. I actually thought about you. Hey! Just glad you could join us for water and exercise!

    I know, Josh. I've actually tried to think of ways to give you skinny ones a few extra points just for being skinny. Any ideas? BUT I'm glad you're in on it!

    Amy and Rachel, the pool party is ON! But I do think that girls should get to choose between two pieces and one pieces with the sides cut out. Just a thought.

    Oh! and while the male model on the home page DOES bear a striking resemblance to Jason - I actually got the photo off the internet!

    Glad everyone is in! We'll discuss more of the details - while we eat buttery biscuits and bacon at Nanny's on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummm...can Fingar family and friendly competition really go in the same sentence? Well, friendly or vicious, I'm in! Must say I am looking foward to the speedo show. This will be great!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M IN...CAN WE HAVE MOM'S PEANUT BUTTER CAKE AT THE POOL PARTY?

    MELISSA-WHEN ARE YOU DUE? IF YOU WENT BEFORE THE FINISH DATE, YOU COULD WIN ON PERCENTAGE LOST ALONE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My suggestion is a pool party on June 6th....it is the day after JW's wedding, so everyone should be in town. Just a note about this event:
    WARNING: Attendance at this event may result in side effects such as nausea, vomiting, staring, jaw-dropping, and altered self-image. Appropriate shaving for females is required. Covering of any unsightly moles, skin tags, boils, or warts is recommended. Some people should start applying sunscreen a week in advance to prevent sunburn, as some exposed areas may not have seen the light of day in say 30 to 40 years. Children 12 and under may experience crying outburst, recurrent nightmares, or post traumatic stress disorder. In extreme cases, retinal damage may occur. Consult your physician. Finally, no rough-housing or games, such as skipping relays, will be tolerated as they may result in embarrassing moments, broken ribs, or bikini/speedo slippage.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, my little Sweetie, is due May 5, therefore, I think the finish line should be moved back, say . . . May 31. This will give "all" of us penty of time! Did I mention there is a 70.3 (Half Ironman) Triathlon on May 1? How many points for this--it is 70.3 miles? I am in, but not sure about the speedo! Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  10. FIRST OF ALL let me say that 30 pts. for quitting smoking is like giving Dad a pat on the back for not dating women straight out of the insane assylum.
    SECONDLY...let me say that as a Yon, I should be entitled to 45 bonus points for my setbacks in the genetics arena. I dont recall any of YOU scarfing down a 20-piece McNugget as a SNACK in 6th grade.
    THIRD... i will state that because of my aversion to competitive sports (especially any sport involving the Fingar clan), I should be awarded a few (hundred) points from the get-go.
    and
    FOURTH... You all have chosen the WRONG PERSON to go up against. You thought i was just competitive against Nanny at 'Jeopardy?'... Think again... Ya'll are goin down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea Lauren! One thought . . . one person's own personal "ironman" may be to simply walk 30 minutes. I believe the emphasis should be on time spent exercising, period.

    If I bike on a stationery bike in the gym for 40 minutes and Bruce runs a 10K in 40 minutes . . . why is Bruce given 8 more points simply b/c his knees, back and hip joints haven't given out like mine? And I know we could walk in a race but the intensity in speed walking stinks compared to using other forms of exercise (besides it looks weird).

    Walt wants to know if his past races could be considered in the points b/c he can't run anymore either (best time in a half marathon 1 hour 19 minutes . . . my stud muffin). We have both spent too much time exercising on pavement and have to compensate with other forms of exercise . . . we'd like equal treatment!

    We also suggest percent gain for the skinny people . . .

    Whatever you decide, the Fingar family representing Hilton Head is in!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephen said I should put on a bikini today so he could take a "before" picture. I think he is dreaming my "after" picture will be something along the lines of Amy face/swimsuit model bod. Fat chance...no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel, oh we WILL have cake at the party.

    Bruce, sorry but your iron man will only get you 10 extra points. But we'll cheer you on!!!

    Brian, I totally agree about the 45 extra points for genetic setbacks. I do believe that 20 McNugget snack came with a couple cokes and candy bars as well. Maybe a can or two of spaghettios.

    Heidi, glad you guys are in! While I have changed the race totals, please tell Walt that he must be dreaming if he thinks we're going to count past races. And actually I think you guys should lose a few points for your reference to your "Stud Muffin." We'll have none of that on the blog. : )

    And, Amy, I would give a large sum of cash to hear you laughing at yourself while you took pictures in a bikini.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! and Linda, you are right. It is a long shot to keep this competition friendly. But maybe we can survive the next few months without killing each other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete