Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Day

How was your first day? Did you drink your water? Did you get to exercise? Did you remember to weigh in? Oh, the weighing in....sigh.

If anyone would like to share new recipes or exercise tips, please feel free. Here's a recipe that we found the other day, and my family loved them! It's a little on the salty side, but it is a great recipe for a high protein and low carbohydrate diet. Maybe you'll enjoy!

Turkey Lettuce Wraps
1 tablespoon oil (peanut, vegetable)
3 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons grated ginger root
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon chile garlic sauce
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
1 large head Boston lettuce or butter lettuce

Chop onion and set aside. Peel ginger root, then grate with the large side of a cheese grater, and chop garlic if using fresh garlic. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add onion and saute about 2 minutes, then add garlic and ginger root and saute about one minute more.

Add ground turkey to frying pan and break apart and spread out with turner (drain if necessary). Add soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. Cook until turkey is brown and crumbling apart, and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.

While turkey cooks, wash and chop fresh cilantro to make 1 cup. Remove the core end from lettuce, wash and dry. Chop peanuts and put in small bowl to serve at the table.

When turkey is done, add chopped cilantro and cook 1-2 minutes more. Serve filling inside lettuce leaves. (Think taco - but replacing the tortilla shell with lettuce leaves.)

We served this with fresh fruits and vegetables, and it was a hit!

4 comments:

  1. Lorann, thanks for the recipe. As I was driving around town today, drinking from my water bottle, I happened to think.....could stud muffin really run a half marathon in one hour nineteen minutes? Am I the only one doing the math? That means 6 minute miles for 13 miles. I have to say, I am actually impressed. A six minute mile is the highest setting on my treadmill and I would seriously hurt myself if I tried to do that for even one minute. (A few steps and then my feet would be slapping down, legs flying back, hanging on for dear life...just imagine). Maybe he does deserve some bonus points. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yeah. I don't buy it either.

    Thanks for the visual. WIth all this water we're drinking - peeing my pants while laughing is SO easy to do these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drank the water! Peed 1,000 times. Feel detoxed. Good first two days... No exercise though. Have to work up to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great JOB!!!! I'm assuming this is Jackie?! I wish we lived closer so we could exercise together!

    ReplyDelete